Making File Exports Available for Download
Pressbooks allows you to easily add download links to different formats of your book on the landing page of the web version of your book. By doing so, you can make the most recent exports of your book available to readers in a variety of formats, so they can choose to access your book in whatever format best suits their needs.
To make export files available for download from your webbook homepage, follow these steps:
- From your book dashboard, click “Settings” -> “Sharing & Privacy“
- Find the “Share Latest Export Files” option and select “Yes. I would like the latest export files to be available on the homepage for free, to everyone.”
- Save changes.
Once activated, visitors to your webbook’s landing page will see a ‘Download this book’ menu that includes links to the most recent versions of each of your file exports:
To remove a particular file type from the download list, simply delete all of the saved exports for that file type from your book’s export page.
Aside from the obvious benefits of offering different reading options for your readers, this option allows for some other cool uses:
- Files can be easily updated and re-exported as edits, updates or changes are made.
- Readers with specific support requirements for visual impairments can select the file format best suited to their needs.
- Formats like XHTML and XML can be made available to those looking to remix and adapt content, including a specific Pressbooks XML format that allows a book to be imported easily into a new Pressbooks book shell.